A little while ago, I posted about getting my wonderful selection of beads in the mail via Kalmbach Publishing Company.  They were donated from Eva Sherman at Grand River Beads.

As an overview, the whole idea stemmed from Lori Anderson, who has hosted a “Bead Soup Blog Party” for a couple of years now.  You can read about the original idea here: https://sites.google.com/site/beadsoupparty2012/.  Anyhow, Lori has written a book based off her Blog Party called Bead Soup: 32 Projects Show What Happens When 26 Beaders Swap Their Stash.  You can get it on Amazon.  Its less than $14.00

This is my fifth installment on the series.  I was stymied for a little bit on my project because the top half was bead embroidered and the bottom half was all wirewrapped and it looked like two different projects. I’d already removed some of the fringe, which breaks two of my rules (always add more fringe and never take things apart).  So, I set it aside for a little while.

Carol, from Dancing Beads in Oregon, actually came to my rescue.  She suggested that perhaps there needed to be more about the butterfly on the top section.  I realized that she was 100% correct.  Her idea was to remove some of the purple triangular beads and re-angle them so they looked like wings.  The problem with that was twofold – firstly, they were REALLY glued and sewn down.  Secondly, I actually working on pretty crummy fabric stiffener.  Once its complete and backed with the steel form, it’ll be nice and sturdy, but just now if i even THINK about cutting that off I’ll probably rip the stuff.  Always use good quality backing (don’t do what I did).

Anyhow, so here’s the update.  I’ve added angled filigree wings on the upper part that are backed in orange ultrasuede (it’ll be trimmed and cut to size later) and I took apart the flower at the bottom and backed it with the same ultrasueded.  This makes it lighter than it was beforehand (it was backed with a big bead) plus adds some of the bead embroidery down below.

See you next time!

Advertisements